Shibuya- 10 Things You Must Do

It has been nearly a month since coming back from my long month long trip to Japan and what an experience that was. Words cannot describe how much of a dream come true the whole trip was and how overwhelmed I still am. I visited so many different places in this beautiful country, saw so many beautiful temples and skyscrapers. There is so much to talk about on my blog I didn’t know where to start. But then I thought, start with the place I enjoyed the most. Shibuya. So here are 10 things you must do in Shibuya!

1. Shibuya crossing

IMG_3181.jpg

Of course, I have got to start with the obvious, cross Shibuya Crossing. Just outside of Shibuya Station is a very large intersection, Shibuya Crossing. It is rumoured to be the busiest intersection in the world with 2,500 people to cross it at a time and an average of 2.4 million people to cross each day. With a mass amount of people crossing from different directions in the middle of neon Tokyo, Shibuya Crossing has appeared in many films such as Tokyo Drift and Lost in Translation.

Wanting to visit Tokyo for a while, I was worried that some of the places I wanted to see would be underwhelming. However, Shibuya Crossing did not disappoint, it was better than I  had imagined. Skyscrapers towered the large intersection and each time we crossed, there were always a large amount of people doing the same. I lost count of how many times me and Reece crossed this intersection.  We would cross simply to get a good photograph which honestly took a while, but it was fun to do. We ended up losing each other, getting looks from locals but honestly it was an amazing experience.

Photo Tips: Once the lights have switched to green, run straight away into the middle of the crossing and get somebody to take your photograph there. Don’t just do this once, do it a few times and do not care what other people think!

Sit in the Starbucks located on Shibuya Crossing to get an amazing view!

2. Hachiko statue

IMG_3215-1.jpg

Hachiko is a statue situated right outside of Shibuya Station, it doesn’t look like much but the story behind it makes it so much more special. This dog came to Shibuya Station every day to meet it’s owner returning back from work and even after it’s owner had died. Hachiko continued to come to the station and wait for his arrival. He died outside the station 10 years later. Therefore, the Hachiko Statue was built, in honour of the most loyal dog. If I remember correctly, there are many places in Japan that are dedicated to this special pup.

Photo tip: Be patience and wait your turn!

3. Visit Shibuya 109

DSC05083

I became OBSESSED with Shibuya 109. Shibuya 109 is a famous shopping mall in Japan and is located on one side of Shibuya Crossing. It is so tall; you can’t miss it. The first time I saw this building I got so excited! It has 10 floors full of fashion and beauty products and food and I just knew my bank account wasn’t ready. There are a wide range of brands/shops in this mall and my favourites were Spinns and Wego. I highly recommend spending a few hours in Shibuya 109, it is so easily done. Even if you do not want to spend much money, it is so interesting seeing all the different fashion styles that are present in Japan! If you are into fashion, you’d be stupid not to go!

Photo Tip: The stairs that lead up or down to the next floor are always beautifully decorated and the perfect photo opportunity! Make sure your outfit is 10/10!

4. Shibuya Nightlife

IMG_9431

You must spend all day in Shibuya in order to see it as quiet as it can possibly get (in the morning), the rush hour (during the day )and then to see the nightlife! I saw some strange things during Shibuya at night, things that I am not going to mention on my blog..yes that weird. However, I am glad I saw this weird side of Japanese culture because it is present in films and anime and it made my whole experience feel more real.  The younger generation come out in Shibuya at night. It is where the teens go to hang out. Not to mention there are neon lights everywhere you look, beautiful to look at.

5. Go to Harajuku

DSC05084.JPG

Harajuku is a district in Shibuya, and it is a MUST VISIT.  In Harajuku, you will find lots of young people, lots of fashion boutiques, unique shops and themed cafes, but most importantly, it is the place for fashion. Harajuku fashion such as Lolita, Visual Kei, Punk Rock and Gyaru are very prominent in this area of Shibuya. There are people expressing their own unique style and it is brilliant to see. I loved people watching and finding inspiration from all the different sub-genres of this type of Japanese fashion. When visiting Harajuku, you must walk down Takeshita Street and go in every single shop along that street. You also need to visit the themed cafes such in Harajuku.  My favourites were the Kawaii Monster Café and Totti Candy. Harajuku is very Kawaii and very Japanese; it was one of the highlights of my Japan trip.

6. Visit the Meiji Shrine

IMG_3565.jpg

The Meiji Shrine or Meiji-Jingu is a Shinto Shrine located in Shibuya and it is dedicated to the spirit of Emprior Meiji and Empress Shoken. Being built in 1920, however it was destroyed during the Second World War but was quickly rebuilt. Entering the Meiji Shrine, there is an amazing large tori gate, the area around is covered with thousands of trees and the walk from the entrance to the shrine is beautiful. It is a very popular shrine in japan and if you’re lucky enough you might see a traditional Shinto Wedding taking place.

7. Eat Ramen

5B537816-7F37-427D-89BD-979721176004 (1)

Being a Vegetarian, it was hard to find traditional Japanese food that was suitable for me to eat. However, during our first week in Japan we found a little Ramen restaurant that serve the most delicious Vegetarian Ramen. You ordered on a ticket vending machine outside the shop, collect your ticket and walk inside. The interior was very traditional. It was called Samurai Noodle Co.Ltd and it was only about a 5 minute walk from Shibuya crossing. I had the dish called “Soya Vegetarian Ramen” and it was by far the nicest thing I tasted in Japan. During the final week of my Japan trip we spent another week in Tokyo and me and Reece travelled to Shibuya 3 days in a row just to eat dinner at this place. It was too amazing for words.

8. Mario Kart experience

c253b0e7-b5bb-4261-b89a-681a6f1badbb.JPG

I am sure you all know about the Go Kart Experience that is available in Japan. If not, it consists on you dressing up as a character (such as, Mario, Nemo), getting into a Go Kart that resembles the Karts from Mario Kart and then driving on real roads. You need to be able to drive and to get an international driver licences so unfortunately for me I didn’t/couldn’t do it. But Reece did and he LOVED IT.

Why I suggest doing this in Shibuya is because you get to drive through Shibuya Crossing, see all the skyscrapers and drive through Harajuku. It is also the most popular place to do this experience and therefore costs more money. If you are interested in doing this, make sure you have everything you need before heading to Japan and would recommend pre-booking!

9. Get your nails done in Shibuya

This is something I decided not to do because every nail bar I went to, it seemed pretty expensive, but this is something I would 100% do when I next go back to Japan. I had been following Nail Bars in Shibuya on Instagram for a long time and I had fell in love with their designs. They are so unique and pretty, I really wish I could have had them done.

10. Sip on cocktails

225f38ef-69d9-4562-b33e-84cffa9562b0

It was one of our last days in Japan and we really wanted to drink some delicious alcohol (not sake!!). We firstly headed to Hooters and this was my first time ever to set foot in a Hooters, it is much more extravagant in Japan. I had a delicious fruity cocktail there so I highly recommend, but it is slightly more on the pricier side. Strolling through the side streets of Shibuya we found a small bar and decided to go in there. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the bar but the cocktails were delicious! They were made from an Japanese type of alcoholic drink (can’t remember the name), lemonade and real crushed fruit! I had peach flavour and it was delicious.

So there you have 10 Things To Do in Shibuya! I managed to tick a lot of things off my Japan Bucket List in Shibuya and I was so pleased about that!

Are you planning a trip to Japan? Out of the 10 things I have mentioned, which would you iike to do the most? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading,

Shar xx

Share:

32 Comments

1. Kayleigh Zara
    October 27, 2019 / 4:19 pm

Eating ramen is something that I would do everyday why I was in Japan! I love the sound of everything else that you’ve mentioned too x

• sharnah
      Author
      November 3, 2019 / 2:35 pm

thanks for reading x

2. October 27, 2019 / 5:03 pm

YAY I’ve been waiting for when you’d be posting on your trip, I loved following along with you over on Instagram!

I’ve heard of the Shibuya Crossing before, I just didn’t know the on average 2,500 people cross it at a time and 2.4 million each day, that’s insane! It must never be empty at all times of the day. I love the photography tip haha, it must be a split second to get the photo just right when the lights are switched to green!

I’ve heard of Hachiko, it’s a movie as well yes? I remember watching the movie and the dog would always return to the station for it’s owner.

10 floor mall!!! WOW now that is a mall no doubt to get lost in! When going abroad I love going into shops to see what different fashion styles there are!

Harajuku seems like such a fun experience to walk through, seems more local shopping in a way compared to the mall! And so much walking, I’m going to assume you were always in sneakers hahaha!

All the Ramen! Although I’m not vegetarian, I do tend to not eat meats outside/when traveling just to stay on the safe side, amazing to hear that Samurai Noddle has a great vegetarian ramen option, it looks amazing!

YES MARIO KART! That’s the one thing I’d love to do in Japan, I didn’t know dressing up as the characters was part of it as well!

Out of the 10 things, most definitely the Mario Kart!

• sharnah
      Author
      November 3, 2019 / 2:42 pm

Yay glad you liked seeing it all on Instagram! Yes Hachiko is a film too! And that is exactly why I loved shopping in Japan. Yes trainers all day every day! I wore sandals one day and my feet were in pain!! And yes this Ramen place had vegetarian, vegan, halal and gluten free aswell as meat options so it was perfect! xx

3. October 27, 2019 / 10:40 pm

WOW – it looks like you had an incredible experience. Japan is def on my list of places I’d love to travel to. I had no clue about the Mario Kart experience and I want to try this now!! Those nails look killer – I can see why they must have been expensive, but I’d so want to try that if I went. Harajuku looks so cool and so do the stairwells in Shibuya 109.

4. October 28, 2019 / 10:10 am

This all sounds so amazing! Japan is truly a fascinating place like no other. I really want to visit someday. Thank you so much for sharing this.

5. Lisa Alioto
    October 28, 2019 / 3:21 pm

This trip looks like a blast – your pictures are great! Thank you for sharing. This was on my bucket list of places to see but I might be adding it now!

6. October 28, 2019 / 5:31 pm

Your Japan trip looked AMAZING on Instagram so it was great to read all about it! Really wanna do the Mario Kart experience!

Jas xx

7. October 28, 2019 / 7:38 pm

Visiting Japan is right at the top of my travel wishlist! I love the culture, the atmosphere and everything just seems so futuristic! I probably wouldn’t be able to do the photo on the crossing because I’m clumsy at the best of times but I’d totally do everything else! The story of Hachiko always made me tear up especially after seeing the film!

Those nails!! Wow!! If I could go, I’d probably go in January as they do special lucky bags in stores for like 10,000 yen! You can get some incredible stuff and I kind of want to visit the Pokemon Centre! Haha!

Daisy xoxo TheDeeWhoLived

8. October 28, 2019 / 8:24 pm

This all sounds absolutely amazing. I’m trying to comprehend 2,500 people trying to cross at once and my brain can’t do it. I love that you included the photo tips too, the image I have of you darting into the road the second the lights changed is hilarious. Interesting to hear how you got on with food, that’s something that’s always been a concern of mine x

Sophie

9. October 28, 2019 / 8:36 pm

Great post – this makes me want to go to Japan!! I’m not sure I’d enjoy using the Shibuya crossing though. I found crossing roads in Bangkok stressful, and it wasn’t as big a crossing as that! 🙂

10. Emily Ann
    October 28, 2019 / 10:36 pm

How fun!!! That’s amazing that you got to spend a month in Japan! I’ve been wanting to visit Japan for a bit now, and now you’ve really made me want to go! There’s just so much to see and do! I loved all of your photos and it just seemed like you had a fantastic time! Thanks for all of the fun suggestions of things to do and experience (those nails are bomb, by the way!) I’ll be pinning this for later if I ever do go! (Fingers crossed!)

Emily | https://www.thatweirdgirllife.com

11. October 29, 2019 / 8:25 pm

Loved this! I wish I’d have known about Shibuya 109 when I visited – it looks so cute! Harajuku is my fav place in Tokyo, such good shopping.

Jess xx

12. November 3, 2019 / 8:28 pm

Japan looks so fun! I have read so many blog posts about it and also watched a lot of YouTube videos and it makes me want to go so bad! Shibuya looks amazing and it looks like there’s so much to do. I need to do that Mario cart experience it sounds so fun x

13. November 3, 2019 / 8:46 pm

Shibuya looks like a gorgeous city! It is so cool that you got to travel out to Japan. I love that there is a lot to see. Awww, the story behind the statue is so sad. Dogs are really the best friends. The nightlife looks great too! Mmm, the food sounds delicious. Glad you enjoyed your time out there!!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

14. November 3, 2019 / 10:33 pm

Looks like a fun place. I love visiting travel blogs

15. November 4, 2019 / 5:22 pm

What a great experience! I’m absolutely dying to visit Japan – it looks like an amazing place. The crossing is iconic! & ramen is delicious x

16. November 4, 2019 / 5:29 pm

Looks like you had an amazing time in Shibuya and I liked how you narrowed it down to your favourite spots. I’ve always wanted to go to Shibuya crossing and Harajuku specifically so it’s great to see they both live up to the hype and you enjoyed your visit there! The story behind the Hachiko statue is so sad but beautiful at the same time, I can imagine how packed it must be, such a good photo op!

It’s so helpful that you mentioned the food too because I know a lot of ramen places have a meat or pork based broth but it’s great to hear that you managed to find a vegetarian option – I don’t eat pork so it’s great to hear that there are some veggie ones out there too! Thanks for sharing x

17. November 4, 2019 / 5:30 pm

Amazing post! I watched the film Hachi a couple of years ago (the remake of the original Japanese film) based on the story behind the statue and my GOD I have never cried so much at a film in my life. It’s such a beautiful but sad story, so it must have been amazing to see the statue in real life! x

18. November 5, 2019 / 10:27 am

Eek, I did nearly all of these things when I went apart from Mario Kart, cocktails and getting my nails done. I already had my nails done in preparation for my holiday but maybe I’ll have to consider getting them done in Shibuya instead next year! Mario Kart looks soooo fun, definitely gonna have to do that next time. I never actually drank much alcohol in Japan but I did try Strong Zero and it was definitely strong, haha.

Alice xx

19. Lisa Alioto
    November 5, 2019 / 4:24 pm

Looks like you had an absolutely amazing time – what a place to visit!!

20. November 6, 2019 / 7:08 pm

Great post! I remember doing all of that when I was living in Japan! Awww, I miss the ramens!!!

21. November 7, 2019 / 5:54 pm

Hey Shar it looks like your Japan trip was so much fun and liberating! It’s so nice to travel and explore different countries to learn and dive into their unique lifestyles. I would certainly wanna try authentic ramen 🍜🤤 and get my nails done because the designs are something you just can’t beat! Most importantly, I want to experience the nightlife because Japan’s night-time atmosphere is like a whole new world! I see it on TV all the time but I know it’s way better in person 👏🏾

Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com

22. November 7, 2019 / 6:20 pm

Everything sounds so amazing! The nails one is such a good suggestion. I never would’ve thought of that, and now it’s something I’ll need to budget for if I ever make my way over there.

Alex

23. mehsi
    November 8, 2019 / 9:23 pm

Hi. I totally forgot to comment on your post, I did click the like button, but my mind was apparently elsewhere that day. Wonderful post, and Shibuya is definitely high on my list of things to visit (along with most of Japan :P). Ever since I saw it in anime and manga I have been meaning to go, and seeing all those fabulous fashion posts on twitter, eep! Lovely post, and I love your photographs. Shibuya looks amazing~ Plus, I didn’t even know you could Mario Go Kart there, I would love to do that, and I am sure my husband would be totally excited when he hears about that.

24. Asher
    November 10, 2019 / 8:17 pm

I really would love to visit that dog statue! Love these photos as well x

25. November 10, 2019 / 8:35 pm

Great post! I most appreciate your tips on getting good photos in the different locations. Looks like you had an amazing trip!

26. August 2, 2020 / 7:12 pm

Mario Kart experience looks like so much fun! Would love to visit Japan myself 🙂
    Would you like us to follow each other?
    xoniomaniax.blogspot.com