5   47
16   78
13   97
0   58
6   51
2   44
1   46

Things to remember around Christmas time

My Post (100).jpg

Christmas is SO close and the blogger world is full of all things happy and christmassy and I have been loving reading everyone’s blogs. But I have decided to upload a more serious post. I did something similar last year so you can call this the part 2 of my things to remember around Christmas time”. I decided to write this because Christmas isn’t always happy and smiles as people think.

NOT EVERYONE CELEBRATES CHRISTMAS

Please remember this. Lots of people do not celebrate Christmas for lots of different reasons, down to religious and just personal preference. This is fine. If someone tells you that they do not celebrate, do not question that, it is rude. Also, do not ask them questions like “do you like Christmas”, that is also rude. Also just because they do not celebrate, this does not mean that they hate Christmas or want to ban it. So please ignore The Sun and The Daily Mail or what your racist cousin is sharing on FB….

SOME PEOPLE DO NOT ENJOY CHRISTMAS

Enough about not celebrating, some people celebrate but dislike Christmas due to past experiences, stress and bad memories so please bare that in mind around this time or the year,  people will be struggling to stay positive and that is not always easy. If you see someone looking miserable, think about what they are going through. Also, try not to shove Christmas down people’s throats as it can be very overwhelming.

BE KIND TO THE HOMELESS

It only takes a small amount of your time and a small amount of money out of your pocket to help the homeless this Christmas. Homeless people are human, they are sad, probably lonely, likely to be struggling and it is Christmas. So please be kind and help them anyway you can. Previously my family have put together little gifts in a box for a homeless charity and this is a great way to help them around the Christmas Period.

LOOK AFTER YOUR PETS

I wrote a blog post last year called ‘Looking after your fur babies this Christmas’ so I am only going to talk a little about this. This year will be Coda’s first Christmas and we have had to make some sacrifices because of this, 10 days until Christmas and we still haven’t put our tree up, I am not sure if we even will. But we have a puppy to look after, and that is better. Be careful as decorations can be very dangerous, as well as certain foods such as nuts, mints, alcohol, popcorn and more. Looking after your pets also means buying them lots of presents because why not?

REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR MEDS AND LOOK AFTER YOUR BODY

If you find yourself distracted, having fun and being busy, you can easily forget to take your medication. I am so guilty of this.  Set timers on your phone as a way to remind yourself to take your medication as it is so important. Make sure to look after yourself. Make sure to look after your body. But…

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR BODY

Please do not worry about how much food you are eating. I know you’re going to think this is absolutely ridiculous coming from a girl with the fastest metabolism ever, who’s not got any ‘fat’ on them BUT please do not worry. It is Christmas, you are aloud to eat loads of chocolate and junk food. I know I am going to need many fillings in my teeth next year haha!

DO NOT STRESS ABOUT SPENDING MONEY

It is Christmas, of course you are going to spend money. Do not be surprised when you check your bank after a shopping spree of spending money( I am sure we have all seen the memes). Money WILL come out of your bank and that is okay. What is also okay is not being able to spend loads of money on presents. It is not worth stressing yourself out and getting into debt and becoming very sad. Be careful.

Has this been a post you want to read 10 days before Christmas? Probably not but I think these are all very important to remember. Please look after yourselves and everyone else around you this Christmas

Sharnah xx

Share:

20 Comments

1. December 16, 2018 / 3:08 am

Some people are going through having lost someone close to them, like my brother. Someone can love Christmas, be nonreligious and be sad but look and act upbeat all at once. Shar you are so on point, you (the proverbial you) don’t know and just allowing people to be/feel/believe what they want is a loving/Christmassy act in itself.

• sharnah
      Author
      December 16, 2018 / 9:18 pm

Thank you so much for your comment xx

• sharnah
      Author
      December 16, 2018 / 9:19 pm

definitely! Thanks so much for reading x

2. December 16, 2018 / 7:05 pm

I love these reminders! YES on the fact that not everyone celebrates Christmas. Often times, we’re better off not asking why they don’t celebrate it or anything personal. Being kind towards others, especially the homeless goes a long way. It helps keep up the spirit. Ooh, yes about spending money. We all have a budget of some sort and this is probably the one time out of the year when you need to stretch it out a bit. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

3. December 16, 2018 / 7:14 pm

Shar these are inspiring and loving tips for the Christmas time, truly appreciate your chrChrist spirit reminders. I agree with you on not shoving Christmas down the throats of others because it makes them feel worse, you just never know what others are going through. I also liked how you acknowledged the fact about not caring what you’re eating because the holidays are meant to be fun. Of course you don’t get out of control but it’s nice to eat and be merry! 🎄🎅✌🏾

Natonya | https://www.justnatonya.wordpress.com

4. December 16, 2018 / 8:15 pm

this is such a cute post! I think it’s really important to not worry about what your body looks like this time of year as we all eat a few more naughty foods x

5. December 16, 2018 / 8:23 pm

All of these things are so important at this time of year, and it worries me to think that people forget this. It can be incredibly lonely for some and some just don’t enjoy it at all.

Thanks so much for sharing this post, it was really great to read (:

6. December 16, 2018 / 8:39 pm

I really like this post! It’s sometimes easy to get caught up in the positives of Christmas to forget that everyone’s opinion of Christmas isn’t always the same as yours and it’s something we should remember x

7. December 16, 2018 / 8:40 pm

I’m one of those people who doesn’t like Christmas and doesn’t enjoy celebrating it as I have a bad relationship with certain members of my family and I hate the fact I’m forced into conversing with them and buying them gifts. I better start saving now so I can take myself on holiday every Christmas until I die!

Fran | http://www.franciscarockey.co.uk

8. December 16, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Great post! It’s so important to be kind and good and take care of our mental health during this time. Another point is to treat retail staff with kindness because they really deserve it

Taiwo | https://www.alifestylenerd.wordpress.com

9. December 16, 2018 / 9:33 pm

This is such a good post, and so true too! I sometimes get so caught up in the festive activities that I forget others don’t love or enjoy it as much as I do! xx Naomi
    (P.S. your pup is gorgeous!)

10. December 16, 2018 / 10:41 pm

I love this! I really don’t like Christmas and I always feel so much pressure to fake it because of everyone else. So important to not stress about money and food too much too! x

Sophie

11. December 17, 2018 / 5:33 pm

Lovely post. People forget that not everyone celebrates Christmas. When I was at school, my best friend used to cry because she wanted to join in with us but couldn’t because of her family’s religion. I know she doesn’t practice that religion any more. And I agree with what you say about pets. This is our first Christmas since we lost our little dog and it’s heartbreaking because she LOVED Christmas! To see a dog’s face light up when they saw the presents was just amazing. Have fun with your puppy x

12. December 17, 2018 / 7:00 pm

This is such a great post Shar with so many important reminders. I think there is so much pressure on everyone at this time of year to spend lots of money, go to parties, be festive and have fun. Sometimes it’s okay not to feel like it and just do your own thing. I agree, it is good to look after our bodies but not stress too much about Christmas calories, it’s always nice to have an extra treat at this time of year and not worry about it. Thanks for sharing lovely and have a wonderful and relaxed festive season. Hope Coda has a brilliant first Christmas too! <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

13. Lisa's Notebook
    December 17, 2018 / 8:12 pm

This is such a great post, Sharnah. You’re so right, Christmas isn’t a time for everyone and there are so many people out there who will struggle with all the festivities and celebrations. It’s important to remember to be kind to others as well as ourselves, and little acts of thoughtfulness like gift boxes for the homeless can make such a difference. That’s a lovely touch, one I’m going to try and implement myself this year, thank you so much for this timely reminder 🙂 x

Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

14. Creative Nails
    December 18, 2018 / 9:16 pm

Great post! You point out so many important points – I feel like people seem to forget that some people may not celebrate Christmas, and I do see quite a lot of people pushing it upon others. It’s a lovely idea to give little gift boxes to the homeless, I can just imagine how much of an impact that would have of them people. It’s also a great idea to set an alarm to remind yourself about medication, I have one set for everyday so I don’t forget to take my tablet!

Amy,

15. December 21, 2018 / 8:34 pm

I ALWAYS spoil my dog at Christmas, she gets lots of bags of treats and toys and some puppy milk and she absolutely loves it (I just know she does). I definitely used to be one of those who really didn’t enjoy Christmas and a lot of people around me just didn’t get it but when Christmas reminds you of people who have passed away or bad experiences it can really suck the fun out of it and people don’t understand that! I am very looking forward to it this year, though 🙂
    Alice Xx