How to get into the Halloween Spirit if you aren’t a “horror” fan

I LOVE Halloween. I love the majority of things about it. Dressing up. Dark nights. Pumpkins. But what I do not like is HORROR. I cannot stand horror films simply because they terrify me. This blog post is my little guide on how to enjoy and get the most out of Halloween if you are a scaredy cat like me! Here is a little list of things that will get you into the Halloween Spirit if you do not like horror!

Bath Bomb- Ellie Bomb Cosmetics

I am sure you all know by now, I love my bath bombs, and finding indie companies. This bath bomb is called  “Tombstone” and it is from Ellie Bath Bombs. Perfect for Halloween.

“A calming, floral accord with powdery dry floral, sweet orange, delicate green leaf and chamomile on a heart of mimosa and violet leaf. Resting on a soothing base of sandalwood, amber, musk and vanilla flower”.

The main ingredients are Lavender, Vanilla and Chamomile Fragrance Oils. Caster Oil is another ingredients which is really good for your skin and is very nourishing.

I want to focus on the smell of this bomb because it is bloody brilliant. Imagine you are walking in a forest, you stumble across a witches cottage, you walk in, there is a glass potion bottle on the shelf, you open the lid and smell the potion. That smell, is what this bath bomb smells like. I know that probably sounds really weird. You are just going to have to smell it out for yourself right? It does smell very sweet(vanilla) but then there is another smell that makes this bomb so unique! Maybe it is the Chamomile!

In the water this bomb was fab. I thought it was just going to be red and black but NOPE. Halfway through I was pleasantly surprised with colours of blue and pink! Overall, this made the water a deep deep dark purple/black. Very Halloween-ey. Regarding the fizz, it was a slow fizzer and it floated around my bath which I absolutely loved! A perfect bath bomb. Perfect Halloween aesthetic too.

Ellie Bath Bombs do a wide range of products if you do not want any Halloween themed ones!

Read a spooky book

Last year my spooky book was IT, I couldn’t get into it and ended up reading a creepy manga instead. This year my spooky book was The Woman In Black by Susan Hill. I have just finishes reading this, I am sure a lot of you know the story of The Woman In Black or have heard of it before as it is a very popular film. I tried to watch the film years ago but it was too scary. The book freaked me out too!

This was a very spine chilling book. The ghost story which it tells is honestly terrifying. The book didn’t always keep me on edge which made it readable for me. But there were parts where I had to put my book down and turn the light on/ get out of the bath because I got scared (told you I was a scaredy cat). It honestly is a great book though, it is pretty short and easy to read. I loved the detailed descriptions throughout the book and how well the author describes feelings and sounds. Not much character development. I would give this book a 3.5/5 especially because there is a cute friendship with the main character and a dog.

Watch a ‘spooky’ TV programme- Hilda

5035-hilda.jpg

So, I saw “Hilda” advertise on Netflix and I thought it was going to be more Halloween themed than it was. But, it still was AMAZING. Hilda is a Netflix Original Series about a young girl called Hilda who has blue hair and she is fearless. She travels from her home which is in the middle of a forest full of elves and giants to the city of Trollberg where she makes friends with humans for the first time. I love the diversity in this series, as you can see from the image, one of the main characters is a black girl and a girl wearing a hijab is featured throughout. Love that! Hilda has a fox/deer pet called Twig!  Elves, cute creatures, a wood man that brings them wood and much more are in this programme. Give it a watch!

Hilda isn’t spooky at all but I will tell you what is. The Scream series on Netflix. Really good. But scary.

Halloween Sweet Treats

Whilst you are doing all of the things mentioned above. You need to snacks right! Get yourself some sweet treats! The majority of places will do Halloween themed chocolate. I highly recommend the Goo Heads Creme Eggs from Cadbury’s. They are basically a cream egg but smaller so less sweet, they are really nice! The orange flavoured candy floss is from Tiger. I was excited to try this but have realised that it isn’t suitable for vegetarians as it contains E120 which is basically from crushed beetles. Around this time of the year, I also love eating Halloween themed gingerbread!

I hope you enjoyed this, thanks for reading! Lets talk about Halloween, do you like horror films or are you like me? How do you like to celebrate Halloween? Have you plans for the day?

xx

*whilst some of these products were gifted, all opinions are my own*

Share:

60 Comments

1. October 21, 2018 / 7:12 pm

Love this i don’t mind watching horror films but they play on my mind so much after!! Love the bath bomb ❤️

October 21, 2018 / 7:45 pm

Yeah they play on my mind too and then creep me out too much! Thanks for reading. x

2. October 21, 2018 / 7:17 pm

Totally agree! Love Halloween but not a horror film fan. Just get too scared! Love these treats though. No tricks here.

October 21, 2018 / 7:58 pm

Thank you!

3. October 21, 2018 / 7:25 pm

These are all fab ideas! I never used to be a fan of horror films but my fiancè loves them so I’ve got used to watching them a bit more now. I used to love reading horror books when I was younger but haven’t picked one up for ages I’ll have to have a look for one! Thanks for sharing lovely I really enjoyed this!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

October 21, 2018 / 8:03 pm

Me and my boyfriend both hate them hahaha! Thank you for reading and commenting Jess xx

4. October 21, 2018 / 7:26 pm

These are great festive ideas! I love the bath bomb!

5. October 21, 2018 / 7:29 pm

I literally cannot stand scary films at all so things like halloween style bath bombs and sweets for halloween get me ready for halloween, but so does cute pumpkin decorations and those kinda things!

October 21, 2018 / 8:05 pm

I am the exact same! Thanks for reading x

6. October 21, 2018 / 7:29 pm

The bath bombs look like a lot of fun and sounds like they smell lovely too–I’ll have to keep an eye out for them! When it comes to spooky books, I’m a bit of a scaredy cat! For me the best part of Halloween is the sweets and this year our family will be stocking up! Nice post!

Trace x | http://www.thefashioncollector.com

October 28, 2018 / 8:04 pm

Thanks so much!! x

7. October 21, 2018 / 7:40 pm

Ahh I love this. I can’t deal with horror stuff either, but bath products and sweets sounds like a much better way of enjoying it! Lovely post.

October 28, 2018 / 8:05 pm

Thank you!

8. October 21, 2018 / 7:46 pm

great ideas, i really love the look of that bath bomb! Horror movies are definitely my favourite types of films even though i get freaked out after ahah!

October 28, 2018 / 8:05 pm

Thank you!x

9. October 21, 2018 / 7:46 pm

I don’t watch horror movies either, but I also don’t even read scary books 😀 This is a really fun list with great ideas for Halloween-y things. Awesome post!

October 28, 2018 / 8:44 pm

Thank you!! x

10. October 21, 2018 / 7:52 pm

Love this! I always watch a ‘spooky’ film or tv show around netflix and of course by lots of sweet snacks! This year I am actually going to go full out and buy a costume!

October 28, 2018 / 8:53 pm

What are you dressing up as? Thanks for reading x

11. October 21, 2018 / 7:56 pm

I love this! Although I occasionally watch horror movies, my boyfriend hates them so we watch not-so-scary Halloween shows and movies like the Simpsons’ Tree House of Horror episodes, and make caramel apples and pumpkin spice everything! Happy Halloween!

October 28, 2018 / 8:14 pm

ooo I should give The Simpson’s a watch!! Happy Halloween x

October 28, 2018 / 8:53 pm

I quite liked to too! Thank you x

12. October 21, 2018 / 8:03 pm

I’m such a wuss when it comes to horrors😂 we watched and read the woman in black in school and it gave me nightmares 😂

November 1, 2018 / 9:03 pm

I couldn’t get through the film!! Scared the shit out of me!

13. October 21, 2018 / 8:07 pm

The bath bombs look great! I love how you preach that you don’t have to love horror to love Halloween! ♥︎

November 1, 2018 / 9:03 pm

They are super good and yass thank you!! x

14. October 21, 2018 / 8:13 pm

i love a good halloween themed bath bomb and any reason to eat candy i’m down with! lol I don’t like horror movies either but I do love like true crime documentary’s so i’ve been watching a lot of those also Hocus Pocus is a must for getting into the halloween spirit! xx

mich / simplymich.com

November 1, 2018 / 9:04 pm

same, well I love a good bath bomb in general haha! Thanks for reading! xx

15. October 21, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Really good ideas. I may have to check out the show on Netflix

November 1, 2018 / 9:04 pm

thank you!

November 1, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Thank you!!

16. October 25, 2018 / 7:04 pm

Although I am a Halloween and Horror fan I love getting as many people into the spirit of the holiday as possible so I really loved this blog post – great ideas doll! 🌸✨

With love, Alisha Valerie x

| BLOG | TWITTER |

November 1, 2018 / 9:05 pm

I wish I was a horror fan I am just a big wimp!! Thanks so much!! xx

17. October 25, 2018 / 7:34 pm

Oh my gosh that bath bomb is a gothic dream!! I would buy 10 of those haha and I am ALL about a spooky bath! Have you ever heard of Hexbombs? They turn your bath black but they’re pretty damn expensive haha, I am so checking out the brand too as I’ve never heard of them! I just did an order from a brand called “Posh Brats” that are cute and some are super creepy too, I love them!! To be fair I do actually like horror movies but I have to be in the mood for them and I have to be with someone else. I’m just not the biggest fan of gore, I watched a film once where loads of people got possessed and killed theirselves but in really gruesome, horrible ways, it was bloody awful! I love eating my way through the trick or treat box because my area is full of old people and is super quiet so no one ever comes to our door hahaha!
    Alice Xx

November 1, 2018 / 9:08 pm

It is so goth! Yes Hexbombs look amazing but I agree, expensive haha! I love their instagram feed, it’s been great to look at for Halloween. I have had my eye on Posh Brats for a while so I can’t wait to read your review(if you do one, hint hint 😉 ) I hate suspense and gore! So horror is pretty much a no for me! Thanks for reading Alice, I didn’t get 1 trick or treater this year! Couldn’t eat the sweets though because they weren’t suitable for veggies 🙁 xx

18. Creative Nails
    October 25, 2018 / 7:52 pm

What great ideas you have suggested! I’m not really into the scary side with Halloween either, I definitely can’t watch horror films! That bath bomb you showed looks and sounds incredible. It’s got such a unique design, and the smell you describe sounds so unique too. It’s so cool that it has the pink and blue in it to surprise you too! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Amy,

November 5, 2018 / 5:52 pm

Thanks so much for reading and commenting Amy x

19. October 25, 2018 / 8:20 pm

Great blog thank you for sharing 🙂 Cx

November 5, 2018 / 5:52 pm

Thanks for reading x

20. Chloe Francis
    October 28, 2018 / 9:13 am

Love the look of the bath bomb! I hate horror films, but I love the night before christmas! xx

November 5, 2018 / 5:53 pm

Thank you for reading, if you mean the Nightmare Before Christmas then I LOVEEEE that film too! xx

November 11, 2018 / 6:47 pm

Thanks for reading, Hilda is fab x

21. October 28, 2018 / 9:50 am

Some great ideas here! I never watch horror films, I’m fine whilst watching them but then afterwards I just struggle to sleep because it’s all I’m thinking about! The bath bomb looks great though, I’ll probably watch a less scary film for Halloween something like the nightmare before Christmas!!

Chloe x

November 11, 2018 / 6:48 pm

I am the exact same! x

22. thebakingbackpacker
    October 28, 2018 / 10:58 am

Cant believe you read horror films but don’t like horror films- I always find reading horror more graphic and makes me way more terrified! Loving the bath bombs too – will look at the website for some Christmas themed ones for presents!

November 11, 2018 / 6:50 pm

Books can’t make you jump though haha! And yes they have got a few xmas bombs on their now and more will be coming! x

23. October 28, 2018 / 11:10 am

As someone who is terrified of horror movies as well this blog post was perfect! I’d love to get into the spirit of Halloween more if it was more scare and less horror, but with these ideas I’ll be able to get my Halloween fix. I LOVE that bath bomb. Bath bombs are amazing in general, but I love the way that one looks and the ingredients are all fab! I’ll definitely have to check out your recommendation for a spooky read. This was a great post, thanks for sharing!

Kelly | http://paperbackadventures.com

November 11, 2018 / 6:51 pm

Thanks so much for your lovely comment!! xx

24. October 28, 2018 / 11:41 am

I love this book! I’m not a fan of horror either so all of this is perfect. I actually brought a load of Halloween bath bombs, they’re perfect. Also you can not forget the sweets! I’m going to watch some Halloween movies but not overly scary of course.

Gemma | https://anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com/

25. October 28, 2018 / 3:04 pm

Love the ide behind this post. Not a big fan of Halloween myself, but I do love how it brings out the creativity in people. I never knew woman in black was originally a book! And Hilda seems pretty interesting, is it made for adults or aimed more towards children? Great post btw!

Caroline | http://caroomakeupblog.com

26. October 28, 2018 / 7:28 pm

I love the bath bomb from Ellie! Looks super spooky and big plus when the beth felt great! Glad you enjoyed the bath bomb. Even though there wasn’t much character development in The Woman in Black, at least you enjoyed the book enough. I LOVE Halloween because so many different candies and chocolates go on sale!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

27. October 28, 2018 / 9:46 pm

I like Halloween my mother’s birthday is on Halloween so we usually celebrate by going out to dinner and sometimes giving candy to others. I’m more into the 90s horror movies like I Know What You Did Last Summer. I want to try those Halloween bath bombs I think that’s a cool way to relax during the season.

Natonya | http://www.justnatonya.wordpress.com

28. October 31, 2018 / 11:47 pm

Horror films took me a while to get used to as I did not like them at all in the beginning haha but October is the only month where I willingly watch one!

I am loving that bath boom – and the smell description has me laughing because all I could think of was the film Hocus Pocus and also curious because I can actually think of how it’d smell like?

Plot twist in the water with blue and pink – it sounds like the perfect halloween bath boom!

WAIT A SECOND ‘IT’ IS A BOOK? I’m probably the last person on the planet to see it but I have a rule never to watch a movie based on a book unless I’ve read the book so if I do decide to watch it I’ll have to get through the book first! I feel like the title The Woman in Black isn’t ringing a bell, but also ringing a bell at the same time if that makes sense? I’ll have to add it to my goodreads though I might have to just read it in the daytime, goodbye nighttime reading for this book!

I’ve never heard of Hilda before but it sounds so great – especially loving the diversity you mentioned in the series!! I love it when shows make more of an effort to have the show semi-reflect reality with the type of people that are the main characters!

I feel like I’m learning so much from this post from books to series to watch, The Scream is definitely going on my list of things to watch!

YES SNACKS! I love love love watching horror movies during October, and going to haunted houses/haunted house escape rooms! My favorite films to watch during the month of October are the classics like Hocus Pocus though! I know you said you didn’t like horror movies but how about haunted houses? Are those off the table too?

Sahara